10 Life Lessons From A 30 Year Old
Turning 30 years old wasn’t as big of a deal as I had hoped it to be. I’m now an official adult adult! I kind of built it up in my head and was let down. Maybe next year I’ll make 31 a big deal! You know, it’s comparative to turning 21 right? Not gonna lie, I had ideas of a trip to an exotic location, or a big backyard party full of friends and family around a Pottery Barn-esk dinner table, an epic adventure set high in the sky with a hot air balloon or even a short domestic trip to the East coast to see a friend. Even though none of that happened, I did have some fun. I mean, I did get to spend a night with the lovely Leonardo DiCaprio and The Great Gatsby. Go watch it old sport. The cinematography and music was great.
So far 30 doesn’t seem any different except that I can now shock the hell out of people when they ask how old I am. Besides that initial shock and awe game I play, I do feel as though I have learned a few life lessons in the past few years and that maybe…..turning 30 is a good reason for a fresh start.
10 Life Lessons From A 30 Year Old:
1. Adventure & Travel: Always look for adventure. It’s the spice of life. Travel often and with eyes wide open. Life looks so different afterwards. Enjoy the planet God gave you.
2. Happiness: Happiness depends on ourselves. Don’t look to others for happiness because you will be let down. I once thought putting others needs before mine all the time was the most Christ like thing to do…..but not to the point that you neglect yourself and sacrifice your own happiness. Instead do whatever you need to do to keep yourself healthy mentally, physically and spiritually. If that’s going to the gym 5 days a week, getting a counselor / life coach, or getting that massage – do it! In the end, you can’t help or love others till you help/love yourself.
3. Procrastination: Don’t wait till it hurts to do something. Remember, getting something done is often times better than perfecting it and not getting it done at all.
4. Friends: Friends come and go fast. Cherish the time you do have with them. They may not be as willing to keep the relationship going as much as you are but if they do, be thankful……and send a postcard!
5. Words: Surround yourself with people that will built you up, not cut you down. A simple word can either light a fire or put one out.
6. Be Weird: Maybe that’s why people are shocked I’m 30 years old? I still act like a kid alot of the time. Be weird. Have you seen this video?
7. Relationships: “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.” ~ Unknown
8. Dreams: Why wait to have your dreams? Start now while you are young and can enjoy them! Make a dream board and make it a point to do the things that you daydream about.
9. Homework: Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. For example, it wasn’t till I was hardcore into clean eating and exercise that I was able to see any results fitness wise. I started prepping all my food for the week so that there wasn’t an excuse to cheat. I was blocking out gym time everyday. I prepared and planned. Same goes with your business.
10. Celebrate: This is one thing I learned from my time in Mexico, they know how to celebrate everything! Celebrate the big things, celebrate the small things. Celebrate life! Celebrate your co-workers birthday, celebrate your dog’s birthday, celebrate the fact an old friend is in town. It may not be your love language, but it just may be there’s.
What are some of your life lessons that you have learned? What do you wish you could do differently?
Photo: To continue my birthday celebration, we hit up the Wichita Art Museum. It was my first time there so I was a little camera happy.
Christy Villegas is the co-owner of Photobox Studios. Christy and Andrea are based in Wichita, Kansas but frequently relocate to destinations worldwide. Photobox Studios specializes in lifestyle portraits and wedding photography that reflect the joys and creativity of life. To see more behind the scenes moments with Christy and Andrea, check out their Facebook www.facebook.com/photoboxstudios, Twitter @cmvillegas or Instagram @cmvillegas83.